Iâ€™m following the race forÂ 11th ward alderman as well as for mayor of ChicagoÂ – the election is going to get wild. It’s mild right now, though.
On Wednesday, theÂ University of Illinois at Chicago hosted a forum in Student Center East (750 S Halsted) featuring 10 candidates for mayor. Out of the 20 candidates registered with the Board of Elections, 10 didnâ€™t come. Noticeably absent were Rahm Emanuel, Carol Mosely-Braun, and Gerry Chico.
We’ve got some weirdos running for mayor of Chicago.
I’ll be uploading some video footage I recorded but I also tweeted a few times during the forum. Here they are in reverse chronological order:
- Ryan Graves says Rahm Emanuel gets corporate donations for favors, “not because they like the guy.”
- Some attendees upset at Ryan Graves use of word illegal aliens. They muttered they prefer undocumented. Same thing or not?
- Ryan Graves needs a better answer on higher education. Hu gave an excellent response.
- Ryan Graves actually knows what TIFs are for. #UIC mayoral candidate forum.
- Chicago’s 77 community areas from the 1950s still going strong today at #UIC mayoral candidate forum.
- Frederick K White wants to make a Chicago water bottling plant. #UIC mayoral
- #UIC mayoral candidate forum going well. Too many single issue platforms though.
I wrote so many times about Ryan Graves because I’m excited that he’s running. He’s 27 years old and I admire his efforts so far. I think that as long as he remains sane during the campaigning, he will be a good person to consider for mayor in the coming decades.
I wish that was me with the Apple iPad, live-tweeting the event.